Just bought 35mm F1.8

Cant wait for it to get here, will be on D5300 (DX) so Im looking for that "Nifty Fifty" with wide aperture, this will be my first ever "fast glass"!

Looking forward to it! Next I hope to get a 50mm F1.8 (75mmFL), will be nice for portraits, etc..

Andrew

Just bought 35mm F1.8

Congrats! Looking forward for images to view from you

Just bought 35mm F1.8

Should work well enough for waist-up and full-length standing portraits, but for head or head-and-shoulders shots, I would recommend an 85 mm f/1.8 instead, especially if you have room to back up for your full-length shots. Then again, if your background is reasonably clean, a "kit" zoom set at 50 mm should also work pretty well for full length shots.
    Example: Canon M3 DX (22.3 x 14.9 mm) camera, uncropped, 50 mm f/2.2, background ~15 ft (5 m) behind subject. Subject's height is about average for an adult male. Lens-to-subject distance is left as an exercise for the reader.

Just bought 35mm F1.8

On an APS-C body, I like the 35mm focal length for full-length portraits.
    For half-length portraits on an APS-C body, I prefer the 50 or 55mm focal length.
    For head & shoulder portraits on an APS-C body, I prefer 60 to 70mm focal lengths.

Of course, your milage may vary.

Just bought 35mm F1.8

Thank you Narsuitus for your info!

After I get a 50, Ill look into a 70 prime.

Still not making any money with my gear to be able to re-invest back into... gear, so its all out of pocket, and my pockets are not very deep. (Thanks to ACA, my monthly premiums are $1,100, 1/2 my paycheck!)

Thx agn,
    Andrew