Activating Windows 10 is kinda like playing roulette

So to keep this short and not write a novel, I just had an interesting experience.

About a year ago I bought a copy of Windows 10 Home OEM from Newegg (sold and shipped by Newegg). The ID was sealed inside a cardboard envelope, and it wasn't tampered with. After I opened it and went to activate it on my son's computer, it refused to activate online, and I had to call in to their activation center in India, who gave me an installation ID for it to activate.

Fast forward to this week. I replaced his Z97 mobo/i5 CPU/DDR3 RAM, and reinstalled Windows since I switched him over to a Ryzen 1700X / X370 / DDR4 build. After getting everything installed and tested to make sure it all worked, I figured I would have to buy a new copy of Windows since the version I had was OEM. I figured I'd just try to activate for giggles, and tried it. To my surprise, it activated online with no issues. So from this experience I guess an OEM license is not tied to the motherboard?

Windows....you just never know what to expect.

hat's a heck of a story . . . .

Given the hassles we all go through over these "white-box" OEM Windows 7 . . . 10 releases, it almost seems . . . .incredible. There's not supposed to be a scatter of outcomes in this part of digital reality. I mean, if they were keeping track of your system on paper, with filing cabinets, maybe something could get switched around or changed. But you have to ask "How is this possible?!"

It's tied to the system as a whole, and not a single part of that whole, once a certain percentage has been changed though, you have to call them to get it reset to the machine again.

Administrator
    The OEM licences for Win10 that I buy these days also have scratch-away foil over the product key. Did yours have that?