How do find the key for Windows 10 ? (Resolved)

My laptop came with Windows 10 Home out of the box, when the screen died I sent it into SquareTrade for warranty repair. Upon receiving the laptop back, it seems to have been reformatted and reinstalled with Windows 7 Home version. Unfortunately, Windows will not activate and I don't want to use Windows 7.

After speaking to a rep at SquareTrade, they said all I need to do was download the Home image and reinstall the operating system to have Windows self-activate. The problem is Windows installation is asking me for the product id key before it will continue to install process.

I know the key from Dell is embedded into the bios, no sticker is on the laptop anywhere. How do I figure out what the key is or retrieve it so I can properly install the right version of Windows 10. The laptop's recovery image was also wiped out and did not come with an operating system on any physical media.

Anyone know how to locate the embedded key ?

Call Dell and get it.

Use the Generic Key to install Win 10.

Then, the MS Win 10 Activation Sever would probably recognize your Computer and would Activate it.

https://winaero.com/blog/generic-key...indows-10-rtm/

Did you use the media creation tool to grab the image? There is a small print link to skip entering the key.. Last I knew as of a week ago anyway. Is this booting from the disc or running from the windows 7 installation?

Used the media creation tool and the generic key, still didn't activate. Will have to call Dell.