Really odd Win10 connectivity issue and... auto proxy detection?

I've had two customers lately with really odd intermittent Internet access issues; one customer described that at a given moment, Outlook couldn't connect to the Exchange server but she could web browse, then at another moment Outlook worked but web browsing didn't (occuring on a second machine on-site too), and another customer was reporting two Win10 machines not able to web browse intermittently.

I visited the first customer and as a message appeared in Edge complaining about the proxy server, I checked the settings (set to auto search and no manual proxy server settings set), then I switched off auto proxy detection. The problem hasn't re-appeared.

I advised the second customer to try disabling the auto proxy search, it's done the trick for them so far as well.

Iffy Windows 10 update? Anyone else seeing anything similar?

Malware? Or installed "Security Suite" software? (Can sometimes set up a systemwide proxy, to remove ads or scan for malware or whatnot on incoming internet data.)

VirtualLarry said:
    Malware? Or installed "Security Suite" software? (Can sometimes set up a systemwide proxy, to remove ads or scan for malware or whatnot on incoming internet data.)

The same malware across four machines at two different sites at the same time? Windows Defender on all four (one had AVG Free on but has since been removed).