I need help transition from Windows 7 to Windows Server 2003

Hi guyz,

I currently have Windows 7 HTPC system and I don't like it cause it's very flakey with my video playback software and the system appears to have a lot of junk (processes) running as services. Biggest problem is it doesn't support my graphics card well so the texts on display look like crap. There is a bug playing video files too.

With Server 2003 I will be back in business for cutting edge performance and compatibility.

I already have 2.1 GB worth data in my 3TB internal storage hard drive. I have one 100GB SSD. I also an USB external 3TB hard drive that is full. I'm currently on Windows 7. The problem is Server 2003 doesn't support hard drives anything 2TB and higher and will see my 3TB hard drive as a 750GB drive. The drive will be unusable and I could lose all data which is completely out of question.

Help me move from Windows 7 to Server 2003 and without losing my storage data. That's your homework. Gimme steps please tanks!

The obvious solutions is to buy compatible hard drives and move your data to them.

But, honestly, you're trying to migrate to a 10 year old OS. Not a very good plan.

Edit: just realized you're the guy that, supposedly, spends 10's of thousands of dollars on cables. Not sure if I should take anything you say seriously.

cheez said:
    Hi guyz,

I currently have Windows 7 HTPC system and I don't like it cause it's very flakey with my video playback software and the system appears to have a lot of junk (processes) running as services. Biggest problem is it doesn't support my graphics card well so the texts on display look like crap. There is a bug playing video files too.

With Server 2003 I will be back in business for cutting edge performance and compatibility.

I already have 2.1 GB worth data in my 3TB internal storage hard drive. I have one 100GB SSD. I also an USB external 3TB hard drive that is full. I'm currently on Windows 7. The problem is Server 2003 doesn't support hard drives anything 2TB and higher and will see my 3TB hard drive as a 750GB drive. The drive will be unusable and I could lose all data which is completely out of question.

Help me move from Windows 7 to Server 2003 and without losing my storage data. That's your homework. Gimme steps please tanks!

cheez

Get Server 2008 (or better yet, keep Windows 7 and troubleshoot your video issue directly).

Server 2003 is older than Windows Vista and is not advisable as an "upgrade" to Windows 7.

Homework done.

But... to answer the question directly...

I think there are some third-party software out there that can convert an in-place MBR partition into a GPT partition without losing data, but I don't think Windows can do this natively.

I'm also not sure the ability of Windows Server 2003 to boot from a GPT partition (I think it might not work).

Theoretically, probably possible to arrange this setup. But why?

Edit: Server 2003 supports GPT partitions (beyond 2TB), but cannot boot from them.

You need an MBR partition (maybe on your SSD) to boot from, and then you can read the data partitions without issues, though the GPT support in Windows 2003 is somewhat more limited.