My first try at live performance photography

Hi folks,
    These are a few shots from my first try at photographing a live event.
    So take it easy on me! LOL

The event was Rock the Park Music Festival in London ON.

You did a fine job! Cheers, Bill P.

You did fine! One suggestion is to spot meter and let the background blow out but get the face of visually most interesting point well exposed. You have to watch carefully and anticipate rest points in singing or guitar playing, they are frequent but quickly gone, and you can capture those at low shutter speed. Low res cameras like those make good concert camera because motion blur is not as noticeable and still subjects can be hand held down to 1/30th in a pinch. I could never hand hold my D800 at 1/30th but a D200 would be no problem.
    A problem with shooting concerts is the lighting in the frame if shooting from below close. Sometimes better results come from getting out of the pit and move back to the mixer position with a 200mm or 300mm lens because the lights will often be out of the frame. Remove any filters if using modern coated lenses because out of frame light will have less reduction in contrast. Always use the lend hood, for reducing the impact of out-of-frame light falling on the lens, and for protection of the lens.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by km6xz
    You did fine! One suggestion is to spot meter and let the background blow out but get the face of visually most interesting point well exposed. You have to watch carefully and anticipate rest points in singing or guitar playing, they are frequent but quickly gone, and you can capture those at low shutter speed. Low res cameras like those make good concert camera because motion blur is not as noticeable and still subjects can be hand held down to 1/30th in a pinch. I could never hand hold my D800 at 1/30th but a D200 would be no problem.
    A problem with shooting concerts is the lighting in the frame if shooting from below close. Sometimes better results come from getting out of the pit and move back to the mixer position with a 200mm or 300mm lens because the lights will often be out of the frame. Remove any filters if using modern coated lenses because out of frame light will have less reduction in contrast. Always use the lend hood, for reducing the impact of out-of-frame light falling on the lens, and for protection of the lens.

Thank you very much, this is the exact kind of feed back I was looking for. I was suprised by the number of guys shooting older nikons there. D200/D300 seemed to be the go to. And I wonder if its because of what you mentioned above.
    I did shoot some form the sound board area as well, I have yet to pull them out of the camera and get them up online. Those were the first few I had.

Its definatley a different type of photography that was great fun!

Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions! Ill be sure to try that next time out!

Cheers,

Bill